Here are milestones of Brendan Eich's career:
- Brendan Eich grew up in Palo Alto.
- He attended Ellwood P. Cubberley High School, graduating in the class of 1979.
- Eich received his bachelor's degree in mathematics and computer science at Santa Clara University.
- He received his master's degree in 1985 from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- He started work at Netscape Communications Corporation in April 1995.
- He completed the first version of a programming language in ten days in order to accommodate the Navigator 2.0 Beta release schedule.
- In early 1998, Eich co-founded the Mozilla project with Mitchell Baker, creating the website mozilla.org that was meant to manage open-source contributions to the Netscape source code. He served as Mozilla's chief architect.
- AOL bought Netscape in 1999. After AOL shut down the Netscape browser unit in July 2003, Eich helped spin out the Mozilla Foundation.
- In August 2005, Eich became CTO of the newly founded Mozilla Corporation, meant to be the Mozilla Foundation's for-profit arm.
- On March 24, 2014, Eich was promoted to CEO of Mozilla Corporation.
- On April 3, 2014, Eich stepped down as CEO and resigned from working at Mozilla.
- Eich is the CEO of Brave Software, an Internet security company which has raised $2.5 million in early funding from angel investors.
- The company's co-founder is Brian Bondy, who worked on Firefox and Khan Academy. The company's employees include Marshall Rose, a network protocol engineer, and Yan Zhu, who worked on SecureDrop and Tor.
- On January 20, 2016, the company released developer versions of its open-source Brave web browser, which blocked ads and trackers and included a micropayments system to offer users a choice between viewing selected ads or paying websites not to display them. A recent update added inbuilt integration of 1Password and LastPass password managers.
Basic Attention Token
- Eich is also the founder of Basic Attention Token (BAT), a "utility token based on the Ethereum technology that can also be used as a unit of account between advertisers, publishers, and users in a new, blockchain-based digital advertising and services platform".
- BAT launched its ICO on May 31, 2017 raising $35 million in just 30 seconds.
If you have time, you should read more about Brendan Eich at Wikipedia (and the image is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license).